Boone Duden Meetings & Membership
MEETINGS AND MEMBERSHIP
The Society presently meets on the last Monday of alternate months April through December. Meetings are held at different location so as to familiarize everyone with the total Boone-Duden area. Everyone is welcome to attend the meetings and become a member. The dues are nominal and are for the calendar year.
ARCHIVES & MUSEUM
The Society is fortunate to occupy a restored house, built of native brick in 1871 by John Friedrich Kamphoefner and his wife, Wilhelmina. The bricks were fired at the Stahlhuth Kiln in the park across from St. Paul's Lutheran Church. It is one of the oldest houses in New Melle. John Frederich and Wilhelmina became the parents of 12 children, born in this house. He was a blacksmith and constructed a shop for wagon making and blacksmithing on the north side of the house. All three of their sons became blacksmiths and Herman, the middle one carried on the business until 1941. In October 1912, John Frederich died at the age of 65. Wilhelmina continued to live in the house until her death in 1946 at the age of 94. The house was sold several times and finally was purchased by Fred Weber, Inc. The Fred Weber Company did a complete restoration of the building including central heat and air conditioning and modern plumbing. They have graciously made it available for the use of the Boone-Duden Historical Society.
The Society has been able to house and display its many treasures in an attractive and comfortable place.
The Museum is open for visitors the second and fourth Sunday of each month from 12:30-4:00 PM. For weekdays evenings or Saturday email firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.
Admission is Free
For Additional Information:
How Busch Wildlife area came to be:
Boone-Duden Historicial Society encompasses
"the TNT area" where the towns of Howell, Hamburg
and Toonerville existed along with hundreds of
family homes and farms until the federal
government acquired 18,000 acres for a WWII
Sunday October 3, 2020 Boone Duden had its 4th annual cemetery tour at St. Johns UCC in Cappeln. Wearing masks and socially distancing among the tombstones, people walked between gravesites with tombstones. Costumed characters were at stations to tell characters' stories next to the marker where they were buried.
This cemetery holds some of the earliest German immigrants to mid-Missouri.